28 OctRaphael Sbarge answers more ‘Mass Effect’ and ‘Once Upon a Time’ questions

It’s another round of Q&A with Raphael Sbarge.

MP3 File

Transcript:

Hey – it’s Raphael Sbarge, and there were a couple of questions that people had asked, and I wanted to answer as best I can. I guess there were a lot of questions, but I guess this was a sampling of some of them:

Melissa asked: As an actor, did I enjoy Kaidan’s character arc over the course of the Mass Effect series?

I think I might have spoken to this the other day, but just in case I hadn’t, I wanted to make sure I had, just to say: Yeah, absolutely. It’s so exciting when you get to sort of do a, sort of, long-form storytelling, where you get to take a character who you’ve really established and take him through a whole bunch of different scenarios.

The thing that’s incredible about this game is the depth in the game, and how much variation and just how far and wide it goes. It’s thrilling, also, that they have written characters that are not just all about screaming. I may have talked about this in the past, but just to have relationships, intimate relationships, places where they talk about what their passions are, what’s important to them. And Kaidan certainly is a man of great passion, a freedom fighter, a man of high moral sense. So it’s really fun, to take him through the whole series of various scenarios.

Does Kaidan retain his sense of humor?

He does have some sense of humor. I mean, obviously, it’s hard to keep a full sense of humor when you’re out there, trying to save the universe. But there are definitely some occasions where his wit, intelligence and wryness come through.

Siobhan: Would you say that Kaidan has grown and changed between 1, 2 and 3?

You know, I don’t so much feel that he’s changed, as much as perhaps he’s deepened, and grown. Obviously, Kaidan wasn’t in Mass Effect 2 very much — much more peripherally; very much in 1; and now a lot in 3. It looks like, if anything, one could say that the relationships have just sort of deepened and grown, just because of the history and the time that everyone’s known each other. Particularly, his relationship with Shepard and what the dimension in that is, in all its various, different, kind of, you know, the choices, the incarnations of how that could go. But when they do get to those kind of more intimate moments, it’s certainly based upon a lot of history.

Elizabeth: Will [I] enjoy your character in Once Upon a Time more, or Kaidan Alenko more?

laugh I guess it’s so hard to know what you might enjoy most. I mean, Once Upon a Time has its own very particular, wonderful charm about it; as has, of course, Mass Effect 3. I would say if you’re probably deep into the game of Mass Effect, nothing’s going to quite scratch that itch like you get in Mass Effect come March. But in the meantime, certainly, from a fantasy point of view, there’s a lot in Once Upon a Time I think that everyone will enjoy.

And Susan wants to know, Have I considered recording an album of romantic poetry laughs to donate the proceeds to charity?

You know, I love that idea, Susan. If you wanted to make some suggestions of some romantic poetry, ideas to consider, I would certainly consider it. I have a nonprofit, it’s a green nonprofit that supports the planet. Perhaps, as Kaidan’s trying to save the galaxy, I’m trying to save the planet. That’s my own personal mission. But I certainly would consider it. It’s a fun idea, Susan, thank you.

Alright, more to come. I’m sure there’ll be more questions. And I’ll be more than happy to answer them as they come. OK, bye.

Post Tagged with ,

Romantic poetry??? LOL, I wouldn’t have thought of that, but it’s certainly an interesting idea. If you record it, we will donate. Thanks for another great Q&A blog. :D

2. Isaac says:

Thank you Raphael & jacqui for another audiblog! :D <333

3. Misty says:

There are times when ‘thank you’ just doesn’t cut it *points at the latest audioblog*. You guys are simply awesome with a dash of divine :)

I can’t express how much I appreciate Mr. Sbarge taking so much time to answer questions, and the obvious thought and care he takes in doing so. I also really appreciate Jaqui posting both the audios and the transcripts. Much <3!

5. Sugaafoot says:

Thank you so much! I feel lucky to be a fan. <3

6. siela says:

romantic poetryyy
    or better yet,just having him read the Horizon letter will be just….<3
    thx for the audioblog jacqui

7. catgirl789 says:

Thank you again for these wonderful audio blogs! Mr. Sbarge, I don’t think you know how happy you made all the fangirls(and boys!) with the sentence “Kaidan wasn’t in Mass Effect 2 very much, much more peripherally, very much in 1 and now A LOT in 3″ (caps for emphasis cuz no bold is available) I’m glad that until Mass Effect 3 comes out we can have Once Upon A Time to entertain us with it’s wonderful and unique story. And thank you Jacqui once again for posting this for us. You both rock! =)

8. Melissa says:

It’s incredibly kind of Mr. Sbarge to spend his time doing these for the fans. And Jacqui you’re just as wonderful for arranging all this in the first place.

9. Elizabeth says:

OMFG, he answered my question!! *squeee* <3 and said my name <33333 it freaked me out when he said it, too. I was half paying attention and thought someone was talking to me. o_O

and I'm crying laughing here, the idea of romantic poetry is… is… just…. I would buy it… maybe even a couple cds xD it would be amazing!!

And Kaidan still has a sense of humor? =D this pleases me <3

10. Emmy says:

Misty :

^ So true! This really is amazing and I could never say thank-you enough times for your wonderful generosity, it truly is greatly appreciated beyond measure :-)

11. Kim says:

Thank you, Jacqui and Mr. Sbarge for these audioblogs. You don’t know what it means to the Kaidan fans (or perhaps now you’re starting to get an idea ;) ). For a long time, we always felt in the minority, pushed to the side. We would get news about the games, but not about Kaidan because he wasn’t one of the “popular kids.” Your updates are giving us a lot of hope for our Shepards in the upcoming game–that our chosen romance will be rewarded.
    One of the things that we are seeing in response to these blogs is that Kaidan fans that were previous in the shadows are coming out and joining the community. It is interesting and fun to see the results of the favorite character-type polls change so much in the last week.

It is so kind of you to do these blogs–to give your time and effort when you are busy with your work. Thank you. From all of us.

12. Shoko says:

I love this audio blog. Mr. Sbarge you win at life! =’D

13. Helena says:

I was painfully worried that after the last audioblog, we’d go into ME3 and see that Kaidan had developed “Anders” syndrome (Dragon Age fans, you know what I speak of). It’s rather relieving to hear that some of his sense of humor is still going to be there, and while I never expect a character to remain entirely the same, especially throughout a trilogy, it’s just comforting to know that Kaidan won’t be doing a 180 on us, and leave us wondering what the heck happened. Hahahaha.

Also, all of my money armed and ready for these donation projects. ;D DO WANT. Thank you again for another informative, awesome audioblog, Raphael and Jacqui! Definitely looking forward to the next.

14. Kristi M. says:

for those who didn’t stay faithful to Kaidan in the second game(say went for Garrus), is there going to be a fight? there’s gotta be some jealousy or anger right? thanks so much if you answer love Once Upon A Time keep up the good work!

15. Meri says:

Thank you very much Mr Sbarge and Jacqui ! What you are doing is very very nice. ^^

Now, I’ve got a question for Mr Sbarge : Do you identify with Kaidan ? I mean, are there some things you like or dislike about the choices he made, the way he thinks ?

Thank you again. :)

16. Laura says:

Thanks, Raphael, all of these updates are simply fantastic. I love that you really have a solid grasp on who Kaidan’s character is rather than just showing up to record some lines; it will make playing ME3 all that much more enjoyable.

Out of curiosity, did you do any voice work for the upcoming Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO?

17. Kayla says:

Thank you again! I’ve had to replay both ME1 and 2 several times to get different characters and their stories set up for 3. I think I’ve beat both games 8 or more times each! I’m just glad that you are giving us these updates and trying to hold us over until March haha. You are one of my favorite voice actors just because you do listen to your fans and take the time to answer their questions! I wish I had one to ask, but they seem to be getting answered just fine :)

18. Melody says:

I’m kind of dying right now. His voice. I could just replay this over and over again. Fall asleep to it. I freaked out when retweeted me and replied to my tweet. Ugh. I’m such a fangirl.

Love this. Love him. Agh. I don’t even know what I’m typing. Someone stop me. I’m not forming coherent thoughts anymore. He does this to me.

19. Kara says:

AH! I just finished watching the new episode of Once Upon a Time and quite honestly I am completely hooked. Really next sunday can’t come fast enough. Mr. Sbarge you are so talented in every respect and I really thank you for taking time to post this audio blog. I just remember seeing your character in the show and something in my head kept screaming, KAIDAN! CARTH! It’s funny, I recognized you instantly by your voice before I even saw you enter. And that just shows how bad of a fangirl I am. I really have no idea if this was already addressed but was the Horizon letter ever resolved? Because I honestly would love to hear that done too. Sorry if I’m a little late.

A question:
    True many of the female players of Mass effect are indeed Kaidan fans, but then again a huge portion dislike him with a passion, like carth calling him whiny and dull. How do you feel about that? Do you think they have some truth to their opinions?

Please keep doing what your doing and thankyou so much for doing this blog. again and again thank you!

20. AmandaH says: