31 OctRaphael Sbarge answers questions about ‘Once Upon a Time’ and Kaidan Alenko

It’s a third round of Q&A with actor Raphael Sbarge, covering Mass Effect and Once Upon a Time.

MP3 File

Hi, this is Raphael Sbarge calling, and I am answering some more questions. I guess there’s been a lot of questions.

First thing is to say thank you, so much, to everyone who’s watched Once Upon a Time. The show retained 100% of its audience from the week before, so it’s really encouraging for all of us who are working on the show, that it seems to have found its audience. I’m so thrilled and so grateful to be a part of it.

Here’s some of the questions that have come along, and I want to see if I can answer them. There was a question from Matthew, asking:

So anything good in store for male Shep and his friendship with Kaidan? He said, I get that people are into the romance, but he was my bro, and what’s the relationship like? Have they patched things up? Are they friends? Are they rivals? Is it player directed at all?

Some of that I can say, some of that I can’t say. But, straight up, obviously that relationship — that male relationship – is also very strong. The thing about Kaidan seems to be that he is a very loyal and devoted guy, and obviously the kind of guy who’ll be there when you need him. He’s not the kind of guy who’ll stab you in the back. He has been very much friends with male Shepard and remains so. Obviously, there are choices in this game, as there are in life. So you’ll get to take some various directions, as you wish, but the relationship remains strong, for sure, between male Shepard and Kaidan.

Let’s see, Allie: How important are your roles to the story of Once Upon a Time? Are all of the characters stories closely woven together?

What they’ve done with Once Upon a Time is that they’ve actually, the way they did in the second episode, is kind of devote the entire episode, primarily, to one character, and really sort of exploring the back story, or the inner life of that character, and what makes them tick, and they’ve done a lot of that with the episodes that we’ve shot so far. It’s a really interesting way of storytelling, as opposed to doing the normal, kind of, “whole bunch of lawyers dealing with separate cases,” or “lots of dead bodies, and who’s the criminal?” In this case, you’ve got a way of telling a story where they get to kind of really explore in depth one character, with ancillary characters around it.

Anyway, the big episode for Jiminy Cricket and Archie is episode five, where you really get to see his whole back story and find out how or, well, how he became Jiminy Cricket. But in this case there’s a lot of characters to explore, and that’s what’s exciting as this goes forward, as we learn little facets of a bigger story.

Let’s see, there’s a question from Meri, wanted to know:

Do I identify with Kaidan? I mean, are there some things that I like, dislike about the choices he made, the way he thinks?

You know, what I love about Kaidan is the sense of honor that he has, and the sense of kind of commitment to doing the right thing. Obviously a military man, but a military man who’s deeply feeling and has a heart – sometimes hidden, sometimes not hidden, sometimes on his sleeve. He clearly has a real passion for what he does. He’s a military man who doesn’t have an ego, in the sense of wanting to do it for himself, but much more about wanting to do the right thing.

I admire that about him. It’s fun to play a character like that. I’ve certainly played my share of bad guys along the way, but there’s something really honorable about him. I certainly identify or aspire to that myself.

Alright, there is a few more questions, but right at the moment I’m going to leave it at that. Thank you all for all the kind things you’ve said, and for watching the show, and for being a part of this really interesting interaction and dialog, these audioblogs. Thank you, Jacqui, for making it possible, and we’ll talk again soon. Cheers.

1. Kara says:

Really thank you jacqui and Mr. Sbarge for doing this for us fans. It really means quite a lot that you are taking time to make more personal connection to the people who admire your work and of course you.

I really can’t wait for the next episode, I think I got all of my friends hooked to the show also.

There is really something unique about his voice that just draws people in for various reasons. :D Just listening is sort of soothing.

2. Sugaafoot says:

Thank you very much for doing this. I cant wait to see the next episode!

That is great to hear that friendship looks good for MaleShep and Kaidan. Hopefully the writers have gone more in depth with that than they did for ME1. If so, Kaidan may garner all new fans.

I eagerly anticipate every new blog, so please keep them coming! Really looking forward to the Horizon letter when/if that happens. :D

<3 to you Jacqui!

Thank you again, Mr. Sbarge, for taking time from your schedule to talk to us and Jaqui for making both the audio and transcripts available! I look forward to every blog, and to seeing more of the Once Upon a Time story unfold.

5. Hotaru29 says:

Second episode of Once Upon a Time was awesome <3 Can't wait to see more!

6. Elizabeth says:

I hope in Once Upon A Time the Mayor doesn’t pull anymore traps on Emma… she’s truly evil, making Archie lie for her DX

And I’m glad to hear there’s still a strong relationship with Maleshep and Kaidan <3 Even if I don't play with Maleshep I know a lot of guys were hoping Kaidan didn't hate Shepard D: And this means that Femshep is on good grounds with Kaidan too <3
    Thanks, Jacqui!! <3 Again, Sbarge out did himself and we're all very grateful for the time and effort he puts into making these blogs <3

7. Meri says:

Oh ! Thank you for answering my question Mr. Sbarge ! And thank you to Jacqui, I think we have a huge chance to have your blog, to have two people like you who care that much about the fans ! Thank you, thank you, thank you, it’s very important for us! ^^

8. Isaac says:

Amazing to hear the friendship between Kaidan and male Shepard is gonna be strong but I sure hope they can be much more than just friends :D

And congratulations Raphel on Once Upon A Time ratings! The show is already a hit! Raphael’s hitting big time! :D

9. Claire says:

I’ve got a question:

What exactly is the process for recording all of your voice work for Mass Effect 3, and what is your favorite line that Kaidan has said?

Thanks so much for everything that you are doing!

10. Kim says:

Jacqui, the idea to put these on iTunes is simply brilliant! Thanks :)

11. Fred says:

I was wondering if Kaidan has more interaction with the rest of Shepard’s crew and not just Shepard himself/herself.

12. Aggie says:

Thank you so much, Mr. Sbarge and Jacqui for taking the time for your fans! You have no idea how listening to your audioblogs make this lil Kaidan-fan’s day always! Will always look forward for more!

13. Kate says:

Here’s my question (I know you probably can’t talk about it but I wanna ask anyway):

How does Kaidan feel towards the unfaithful femshep? Is there tension, or does he merely accept that he lost out?

14. Kate says:

And thank you so much for doing this :D Just wanna say that too :P

15. Roland says:

First off, congrats to Mr. Sbarge and the rest of the “Once Upon A Time” cast and crew for their full-season pickup! My question is about Mr. Sbarge’s personal take on Jiminy Cricket. So many people automatically think of Disney’s version so I was wondering if that incarnation figured in any way to Mr. Sbarge’s approach to the character. Muchas Gracias! :)

16. DevilYoko says:

Thank you Mr. Sbarge and Jacque for those audioblogs, those make me a happy person, and for Once Upon a Time becouse this show is so awesome!
    Btw. still waiting for link.. You know “About Horizon” one ;]

17. catgirl789 says:

I’m so happy that Once Upon A Time is doing so well. So many great tv series like this seem to do poorly for some reason and I’d really like to see it continue. This week’s episode was awesome and I loved the interesting take on ‘Prince Charming’and Snow White’s relationship and origins. Seems like I’ll be counting down ’till episode five though ;).
    I also want to second Kate’s question as it is an interesting one. How does Kaidan feel about unfaithful FemShep? Will sparks fly between the new LI and him? Will he hate Shep? Will he hate himself? Or will he simply move on? If you can’t answer, that’s okay.
    Finally, I’d once again like to thank Mr. Sbarge and Jacqui for setting this up for us. It makes me happy that I can get little doses of happiness like this regularly. =)

18. Melody says:

I’ve got a few questions myself:

1. So far all these questions have been about Mass Effect and Once Upon a Time (which I love by the way). How about some love for KOTOR?

a. What was it like playing the role of Carth Onasi in Knights of the Old Republic?
    b. Do you resemble Carth more than Kaidan, and or Jiminy Cricket?
    c. Will you be making any sort of appearance in The Old Republic?
    d. How did your role as Carth in KOTOR prepare you for your role as Kaidan in Mass Effect?

2. Do you enjoy being an on-screen actor more than being a voice actor?

3. If you weren’t in the acting business, what would you want to be doing?

4. What is the air going to be like around a female Shepard who romanced Kaidan in the first game, and then romanced Garrus in the second? Considering Garrus and Kaidan were friends in the first, will that hurt any relationships aside from the obvious one between female Shepard and Kaidan?

5. What were your feelings on how small a part you got in Mass Effect 2?

6. Do you feel like the writers should have allowed Shepard to defend herself in “that” confrontation on Horizon?

Haha, of course you don’t have to answer all of these — you don’t even have to answer one! — but here are just some suggestions for your next audioblog. I can’t wait for it!