22 OctRaphael Sbarge answers questions about ‘Once Upon a Time’ and ‘Mass Effect’

Actor Raphael Sbarge answers questions from fans about Once Upon a Time and Mass Effect.

Transcript:

Hey! Hey, it’s Raphael Sbarge, and I was going to answer some questions.

I have a question from Helena, wondering: What part of … what’s my favorite part of working on Once Upon a Time?

I think the favorite part is where I get to wander into the imagination of these writers, where they have begun to explore how Jiminy Cricket came to be. There’s an episode – 105 – which. I’m sure I’ll find myself talking about later on, that explores that in great detail.

And it’s thrilling to be part of such an incredible production team. The production values, the way it’s shot and, sort of, the traveling-through-time aspect that we do on the show. It’s sort of a dream job, in that regard; to be able to have not just one, but two parts, and then be able to sort of do it in period, in character and then in present time. It’s … God. It’s just a delight for me.

The next question is, what’s it like portraying Jiminy Cricket?

You know, it’s a little daunting. Only because it’s such a huge Disney icon. At least, initially. I know the rest of the cast, having their particular icons, also – you know, Snow White, Rumpelstilskin, etc. – there’s a real … I don’t know. They’re big shoes to step into. That said, what they’re trying to do is humanize these characters and reinvent them and breathe new life into them. So it sort of falls into the “Wow, what an extraordinary honor to be playing Jiminy Cricket.” With a character whose sort of motto is, “Let your conscience be your guide” – it’s pretty neat.

Lyriel – if I’m pronouncing it right — Lyriel … that’s a wonderful spelling: What’s it like connecting the fairy tale wisdom of Jiminy Cricket to modern and nuanced psychology for Archie?

I love the question … I’m trying to figure out how I would answer it. You know, what they’ve done is this: They’ve given us two characters. One character that I play is Archie, who is this young boy’s psychologist, his therapist. And then they also have made me Jiminy Cricket. There’s a close parallel, obviously, to Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket, and, you know, if your therapist is your conscience and someone that helps you kind of find your way through getting to your truth – they’ve sort of masterfully blended those two concepts together.

It’s a very interesting question. I mean in a certain sense, what they’ve done is design it so that the two characters really are married together, and the strengths of both – we lead with them. That’s clearly what they’ve done throughout the show; they’re trying to sort of take what are sort of the basic essences of the characters, and try and re-imagine them in modern time. I have been in some therapy in my life, and I can say that I am truly grateful for the therapists I’ve known, who have helped me out of some tight spots.

What I like about Archie is that he’s not just sort of a guy who’s by the book; he’s sort of a guy who clearly has lived a bit, taken a few punches and then tried to kind of come out and find some wisdom from it. So he’s not just sort of a know-it-all therapist. Clearly, obviously, Jiminy Cricket, to Pinocchio, also is there to help guide him and to keep him strong, and making the right decisions. Anyway, I love the characters, and I love the opportunity to be playing Jiminy Cricket.

OK, Melissa: As an actor, do you enjoy Kaidan’s character over the arc of Mass Effect?

Absolutely. The thing that I love about Kaidan – and I’ve done quite a few video games – but the thing that I love about him so much, is what a complex guy he is, and that he’s not just sort of a bad-ass freedom fighter out there in the universe, fighting geth and trying to just shoot and kill whatever comes out. You sense – and clearly, obviously now, I’m seeing a theme – this is a guy who’s got a conscience, and this is a man who is really intent on doing the right thing and has also – and again, this is the writing – has a very tender side to him. Has a sensitivity, despite the fact that he’s got a tremendous strength and a power, and he’s loyal. He’s strong. And he has clearly a soft side and a heart.

His relationship with Shepard, the female Shepard – the writing is just wonderful. Some of the best writing for Kaidan, for all three of the games, is coming up in Mass Effect 3, which is steamy. And thrilling to do. And, I mean, it’s sort of an actor’s dream to be able to have, in this case, a character that’s as rich as this is.

I mean, so many video games have just a lot of screaming in them. And this game is really much more nuanced. Much more like a film character or like a television character, where you get to kind of really bring depth, dimension and some heart to him. So, yeah, it’s been wonderful exploring him. Yesterday we were doing the last scene from Mass Effect for Kaidan, and we all got a little misty about it.

Anyway, I’ll pick up some more questions next time I call back.

1. Cardis says:

His relationship with Shepherd, the female Shepherd – it’s SHEPARD, SHEPARD, you know. Oh Maker.

2. Crimson says:

Ahhh, this is so fantastic! I can’t wait to watch the show tonight! And all of the little comments about Kaidan are helping the endless wait until March!

3. DevilYoko says:

Jacqui – don’t rush things so much! We fans just can’t stand spelling mistakes like Kaiden and Shepherd. But you are doing good job with that! Keep it up! :)

4. Misty says:

Thanks! Really appreciate all this :)

5. Christina says:

Oh come on guys, who cares about spelling.
    Awesome stuff tho, thank you very much!

6. jacqui says:

DevilYoko, Cardis and Christina — That’s all TOTALLY on me and autocorrect, apparently. My apologies. I’m trying to get this out to everyone and I knew there were requests for transcripts, so that teaches me to try to get ahead of things.

I will learn! I promise!

7. hoppy says:

Yay! Great job with those transcripts & can’t wait for more :)

8. Jenova says:

Awww, you are doing a sterling job, Jacqui… We appreciate the effort that you put into keeping us informed and it is amazing that Raphael takes the time to do this, please let him know we love him for that :)
    I can forgive you the spelling error…. It’s not like you are doing it to wind anyone up, lol…. Take some time out for a nice hot coffee and pat yourself on the back :)

9. Jenova says:

Doesn’t even matter, those of who follow Raphael on Twitter now how hard you work to keep us informed :)@jacqui

10. Jenova says:

*know (sticky keys, sorry……..)@Jenova

11. maxon says:

You’re killing Raphael – it’s such a long time till the game’s released. Love your work.

12. Lydia says:

@jaqui — Thank you! Thank you! for arranging all this.
    Hey could you also tag your tweets with #ME3? I am totally hours late to the party cuz that’s what I follow…

And I don’t want to miss another word. :)

Thank you so much for all these fabulous audio blogs. It makes the wait until March that much easier to bear. :D

14. KIa Purity says:

Thanks for the transcripts! :D

15. Kim says:

This was really great. I thought we were only going to get Tweeted answers, but to get audio answers was a lovely treat. I love how Mr. S’barge is able to give his characters a different voice, so that although similar they have different flavor to them. I love Kaidan both due to the writing but especially due to his voice/acting. He’s my favorite VG character along with Carth. And I eagerly await the new show. I wish it and Mr. S’barge good luck and a long successful run.

@jaqui – Thank you for including my question, and for the speedy transcripts too.

(It’s pronounced LEE-ree-el, but frankly he can say it however he likes!) I’m even happier he thought the question was interesting, and I enjoyed his answer a lot. Can’t wait for more audio blogs, and for the series premiere tonight (and ME3 in March). Very much a fan of Mr. Sbarge!

17. Holly says:

Thanks for these audio blogs!! March can not get here soon enough. Mass Effect is an amazing series… there’s not many games where I can play as a strong, amazing female character with an equally strong love interest. Kaidan is one of my favorite characters ever, and you hit it right on the head – he’s tough, but not in the cliche, macho-man way you see so often that just makes me roll my eyes anymore.

18. Kim says:

It’s “out there in the universe, fighting geth” not death. XD Thanks for this!

19. jacqui says:

Fixed! Obviously, I need to start playing ME.

20. Isaac says:

@jacqui Can you ask Raphael about male Shepard (male players) & Kaidan in Mass Effect 3? Raphael only mentions female Shepard/players and how much great content will there be for them. Male players are worried we’re not getting anything :(

21. Melody says:

This is so lovely. I’m glad he takes the time out of his day to answer these. Honestly though, I’m just more happy to sit and listen to him talk. He could be talking about quantum physics or how a dog shits in a thunderstorm. I’d still be in this pure bliss.

Also love what he said about Kaidan. It’s so true. I love how he’s very sensitive and not someone…like for instance Zaeed or Jacob — where it’s all about the muscle and not about the mind. His control over his biotics is a perfect example. Strong and steady on the battlefront for the galaxy and Shepard’s heart. Deal-breaker. Love this man.

22. Elizabeth says:

All I can say it: I love Raphael and his work, he’s absolutely amazing!

23. jacqui says:

Hey Isaac! I’ve been watching some of the feedback but as you may have picked up — I haven’t had a chance to play ME yet. So can you help me out and help me refine exactly what I need to ask him to address in a future blog entry regarding male Shepard players?

Hate to sound like a n00b. But I figure it’s better to ask!

24. Helena says:

Raphael, first of all, thank you so much for pronouncing my name correctly! I was absolutely amazed that someone got it right, let alone the fact that it was you! :D

Many thanks for all of your hard work to keep your fans in the know about this stuff! We all really, truly appreciate all you’ve done, and continue to do. It’s so awesome to be able to connect to someone that you’re a huge fan of like this. Just mindblowing, really. So, just thank you again, so much for caring about us like this!

(And last, but not least, thank you as well, Jacqui, for being the driving force behind all of this! Your work doesn’t go unnoticed!) :)

25. Elizabeth says:

Btw, Raphael, you’re spoiling all of us with “It gets steamy” and “we all got a little misty about it”. :3 You better watch out, Bioware might get after you for releasing to much information… not that we want all this awesomeness to stop. X3 You’re Spectacular for sharing things like this, we all really appreciate it! And – We all love Once Upon A Time, it was amazing, although, I think it should have more of you in it, that would make it even awesomer.

26. Isaac says:

@jacqui
    Thanks you so much for responding to me! :D

I would like to ask Raphael is there going to be a romance option between male Shepard & Kaidan in Mass Effect 3 :) Back in June Raphael said at Albuquerque Comic Expo that there will be, but now he only mentions romantic content for female Shepard players in his audioblogs and male fans are worried :( Of course we understand if Raphael can’t talk about it (BioWare may be restricting the Voice Actors from revealing stuff like that and Raphael said it himself at the Expo that he thinks he wasn’t supposed to say it ;P) so we would love to hear his answer even if it’s “Sorry, I can’t talk about it/say anything before the game’s release”. That would at least give us some hope he’s not mentioning male Shepard players because there’s nothing to talk about but because he can’t talk about it :) We would be just grateful if you brought it to his attention that male Shepard players are worried :)

Thank you for everything jacqui, you’re doing an amazing job! <3

27. jacqui says:

Hey Isaac — That’s what I thought was being asked! Raphael and I talked a bit about that yesterday, and I told him I’d try to get someone to just ask! I’ll pass this along to him for a future blog entry.

And thanks for the kind words. I’m trying to get up to speed quickly! Hopefully we can get him out to a few more conventions, and I’ll tag along and meet some of you.

28. maxon says:

Hey Jacqui, you’re doing great – I bet you just weren’t prepared for all the ME fangirls and boys! It’s quite a fandom, ME. They’re all of a quiver at BSN over these blogs. If you could get Rahpael to say something about male Sheps and Kaidan, that would be great. Isaac is dying over here.

29. jacqui says:

Maxon — Thanks! I do a lot of work in other fandoms for the past 13 years. I’m having a blast learning about the ME world. And I learn quick: KaidAn! ShepArd! See?

30. Eccentrica Gallumbits says:

This is awesomesauce. Thanks for doing this, it’s great!

31. Melissa says:

Jacqui,

Thanks so much for putting together these blogs with Mr. Sbarge. Your efforts are very much appreciated. You two made my day by responding to the question I posed. I hope you continue interacting with his fans this way because it’s a real treat for us.

~ Melissa

32. Isaac says:

@jacqui
    Thank you so so much jacqui! All male Kaidan fans appreciate so much that you responded! :D <3

33. Elizabeth says:

Yeah! Thanks Jacqui, we all really appreciate you, yous and Sbarge make an awesome team, look forward to seeing you both at some cons! :)

34. DevilYoko says:

@jacqui You are doing great job you know that? And learn fast! ;]
    I really have one thing I want to hear from Mr. Raphael Sbarge aka Kaidan Alenko… It is post Horizon letter! Just read it is not enough… So if there is any little possibility… Pretty please!
    And sorry for spelling!

35. Jenova says:

DevilYoko :
    @jacqui You are doing great job you know that? And learn fast! ;]
    And sorry for spelling!

OMG………… this would be amazing, if Raphael read out the post Horizon email it would make soooooo many Shepards really, really happy…. If he doesn’t have the transcript we can certainly provide it…. pretty please…………. :P

36. Kim says:

Oh gosh yes! Please read the “About Horizon” letter. Pretty please?

@DevilYoko
    I support this if Mr. Sbarge feels so inclined. It would be amazing to hear the letter voiced. Regardless, his generosity to his fans is really quite something, and Jacqui, you are doing a stellar job coordinating all this. THANK YOU! :)

38. Alana says:

I also support the post Horizon letter! That would be absolutely wonderful! :)

39. Eccentrica Gallumbits says:

I would love to hear Mr. Sbarge read that letter aloud if it’s possible!

40. Hotaru29 says:

Would love to hear the Horizon letter too, I fully support this! = )
    Also love the audioblog very much! Great job = D

41. jacqui says:

LOL. I saw you guys discussing this yesterday. How do you decide who’ll come over here and ask? Eeny meeny miny moe?

So ‘splain to me, since I’m new. What is the Horizon letter? I mean, I read it, but, well, I’m new.

42. DevilYoko says:

Well discussion about Horizon is long but hmmm I just jump on that today after 24+ hours without sleep :P

43. SilverMoonDragon says:

Bekkael :
    @DevilYoko

I agree with everything said here Bekkael. Hearing Mr. Sbarge read the Horizon letter would be a treat beyond compare! And I know many people would be very happy to hear it. And like you said, he is very generous with his time and we’re all so grateful for that.

44. Jenova says:

We are very committed fans and Devil had a flash of brilliance that we had to get on board with…… :P It is an email message from Kaidan to Shepard and it pops up shortly after Horizon….
    ”Shepard,

I’m sorry for what I said back on Horizon. I spent two years pulling myself back together after you went down with the Normandy. It took me a long time to get over my guilt for surviving and move on. I’d finally let my friends talk me into going out for drinks with a doctor on the Citadel. Nothing serious, but trying to let myself have a life again, you know?

Then I saw you, and everything pulled hard to port. You were standing in front of me, but you were with Cerberus. I guess I really don’t know who either of us is anymore. Do you even remember that night before Ilos? That night meant everything to me… maybe it meant as much to you. But a lot has changed in the last two years and I can’t just put that aside.

But please be careful. I’ve watched too many people close to me die — on Eden Prime, on Virmire, on Horizon, on the Normandy. I couldn’t bear it if I lost you again. If you’re still the woman I remember I know you’ll find a way to stop these Collector attacks. But Cerberus is too dangerous to be trusted. Watch yourself.

When things settle down a little… maybe… I don’t know. Just take care.

–Kaidan”
    It is all we have to keep our Shepard warm at night….. And it would mean soooooooo much :P@jacqui

45. Jenova says:

That last part ^ is the most important part ;)

46. DevilYoko says:

^ Second that! :D

jacqui :

Just in case you didn’t get an answer yet…

The letter is all a romanced FemShep gets after seeing Kaidan briefly on Horizon where he has some harsh words for her. For those of us who chose to remain faithful with our FemSheps and ignored other romance options in Mass Effect 2, that email and his photo on Shepard’s desk in her quarters were all we had to sustain our broken hearts at Kaidan’s absence. Understandably, it became an important symbol to those of us who clung to the hope that our faithfulness would be rewarded in Mass Effect 3. Hearing the letter in Kaidan’s (Mr. Sbarge’s) voice would be that much more meaningful. :)

But once again, if it isn’t something he is able to do, we do understand. We’ll just cry quietly while holding our plushie Kaidan, and rewatch the first episode of Once Upon A Time again. ;P

48. Jenova says:

Bekkael :

jacqui :

Just in case you didn’t get an answer yet…

Those of you who can watch it, you mean :'(

49. Elizabeth says:

Bekkael :

jacqui :

Just in case you didn’t get an answer yet…

Haha xD Bekkael is right! And we’d all really appreciate it <3 Jacqui, get him to do it, please? Horizon letter FTW!!

50. Lady Niltiak says:

Ooo That would be so cool! Horizon letter ftw!

51. Misty says:

Haha, I can almost see Raphael’s facepalm when he hears about this lol Would be awesome tho ;)

52. DevilYoko says:

Jenova :

Bekkael :

jacqui :

Just in case you didn’t get an answer yet…

Those of you who can watch it, you mean :’(

Jenova I have this luck to watch it on monday! And I wath it like 5 times by now and I think I will watch it even more times till next sunday! It’s awesome show!

@Jenova
    I’m sorry, Jen. :( I’m sure episodes of Once Upon A Time will be available from other sources in the future, which will allow all you guys that don’t live in the USA to finally see it.

54. jacqui says:

I just talked with Raph. To address some things:

1. Yes, I am reading your forums. Because I’m nosy like that. Hieeee! No, I don’t tell him 99.95% of what’s posted. So feel free to go about your business without feeling like there’s a spy in your midst.

2. I can enable the download link for Kaidan’s message, for those of you who haven’t figured out how to rip it to your hard drives. Do you want them for the other posts, too?

3. Oh I had a hunch regarding what I was getting into. I’ve been in fandoms for some time. Check out the front of FanGeek.com. And yes, you are a classy and sophisticated bunch.

4. I’m going to make a separate announcement to address the Horizon request. Thanks for the background!

55. DevilYoko says:

@Bekkael I’m not from USA and I have it ;]

Misty :

Yeah, I can picture him shaking his head bemusedly when he hears the request… But it *would* be very cool!

57. Jilinna says:

@Elizabeth

Definetly would love to hear him read out the Horizon letter if he could :)Just as a way to also hear the emotion behind Kaidan’s letter instead of trying to imagine it ourselves.

jacqui :
    I just talked with Raph. To address some things:

Thank you, Jacqui, you really are a star! ? Please feel free to post on the board if you ever have time and are so inclined, we would love the chance to get to know you. :)

@DevilYoko You should share that info with Jenova as I know she would like the chance to watch the new show. ;D

59. DevilYoko says:

jacqui :
    I just talked with Raph. To address some things:

I’m not dreaming? Right? RIGHT?!
    Thank you so much Jacqui! <3

60. Elizabeth says:

jacqui :
    I just talked with Raph. To address some things:

I want the download! =D Also, I just want to say – Jacqui, youo and Sbarge are so awesome for putting up with us! xD We appreciate it a lot!

61. Melissa says:

Jacqui,

I’m not tech savvy, so I’d need a link for all the posts. Thanks so much. You’re awesome.

~ Melissa

62. catgirl789 says:

Just throwing in my support for the Horizon letter being read. It was all my FemShep had of Kaidan for hope. Also thank you Jacqui and Raphael for being awesome and providing this for us.

63. Joni says:

Wanted to throw in my support for the letter on Horizion. It would be interesting to see how Kaidan felt about Horizion. I know we both felt a wide range of feelings about Horizion.

64. Roland says:

Would definitely support hearing Mr. Sbarge reading the post-Horizon letter a la Kaidan. The emotion he would put into it…dang, I just got the chills! 8-O

65. Stacy says:

Oh, wow… what an amazing idea! I would love to hear him read that letter, I would be forever grateful. And thank you for all that you’ve done for us so far. We’re the luckiest fans ever!

66. Joisan says:

Kim :
    Oh gosh yes! Please read the “About Horizon” letter. Pretty please?

What she said! I’ll get down on my knees and beg if I have to. I’ll seriously do it :D

67. Shoko says:

I fully support Sbarge reading the “About Horizon” letter…. this would be so badass and just…. so awesome and more than what any fan could ask for. I’ll get down on my knees and beg too if I have too! =D

68. Kim says:

Yes, please post download links. I’m not tech savy either. And I would love to be able to listen to them offline.

69. Crimson says:

I would just about explode with delight if Raphael were willing to record the Horizon email! Come to think of it, it’s tragedy it wasn’t voiced in the game!

70. Sugaafoot says:

Throwing in my support for the letter. That would truly be amazing.

71. ZombieGeisha says:

I would love it if Raphael read out the email! Would be totally awesome! :)

72. Brianna says:

Oh, my. I just read the suggestion of him reading the Horizon letter.. I got a little faint. That’d be so amazing!

73. Meri says:

Raphael reading the Horizon letter ? Waw that’s a beautiful idea!